Where were you?

Perhaps only Julie would appreciate this, but as I was driving home from a swim test last night, the local rock station played a song I don't think I've ever heard on the radio before, The Show Must Go On. For those that don't know, it's the last track on Queen's Innuendo album, the last one released before Freddie Mercury died.

That album has alwasy been bitter sweet for me. I remember the day I heard Freddie died quite distinctly. I was in the Navy at the time and we were at a port visit to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. I was eating breakfast when the chaplain came in. He asked me if I'd ever heard of Queen. I was like "Duh, Queen freak here. Hello!". He then told me that Freddie Mercury had died of complications from AIDS. It was a very depressing day for me. The worst was that my wife had purchased the Innuendo CD for me, taped it, and sent me the tape just before Freddie died. I recieved it about 2 days after he died.

I listened to the album once or twice and then put it away for a LONG time. Many of the songs are very meloncholy to and for the longest time just screamed at me that Freddie was dead. I don't know why the death of a mucisican I never met affected me so, but so many Queen songs speak to me in so many ways that it was like loosing a friend. I put the CD in my car today and started listening to it again. I havn't played it in maybe a year or two. There's been enough time now that not all the songs sadden me. I can begin to appreciate the songs for themselves. However, The Show Must Go On still kind of chokes me up. I believe Brian May knew Freddie was dying when he wrote it. Still, it's a good CD with great songs.

So, you Queen fans out there, do you remember where you were when Freddie died?

Comments

Popular Posts