Another Interlude

These last two posts where written out of order, but I really wanted the one below to be at the top, since it was fresh in my mind when I began writing. Also, I promise to scan the junior prom picture of the Wife and I. I show it to everyone (it's still in my wallet) so why not you guys? You'll get to see us as our 16 year old selves.

I just had to write about events from today. It was one of those days where I was quadruple booked. Maverick had a sax lesson at school at 11 am, so I had to leave work in the morning, get Maverick, go to the lesson, get him back to camp, get back to work and work through lunch. Then this evening, Faith on Fire played at an ice cream social at about 6:30, so it was get home, eat quick, and run out the door to get there early so we could have a sound check. PLUS, Grasshopper had a soccer game at 7:15 so I had to get the heck out of church really fast after the ice cream social to get him to his game resonably on time. And still find time to collect the trash for trash night, make lunches, and perhaps blog all before bed.

So as you can see, I got home from work pretty stressed out with everything going on tonight. I got Grasshopper in his soccer uniform right after dinner. I showed up at church stressed out to start. And the first thing I hear is "They closed the doors on us and no one will hear us. I'm leaving now." Our church is round with a new addition on one side with meeting rooms and a kitchen that opens up into the main church for overflow seating. The original plan was that the group would play, with the doors to the addition open, while people had ice cream. This plan was shot down last minute. So tempers were short.

We tried to work around it with the sound system, but it wasn't happening. So, I being the leader of the group, was nominated to go to our pastor and fix the problem, meaning, go tell him to get the doors opened so people would hear us. So I chatted with him and explained when we were planning to start, and our concern over the doors to the addition being closed. He stated he wanted to do that to prevent people from going into the church with the ice cream and making a mess, which I completely understood. He liked the idea of us starting at 6:30, as the social started at 6. He figured that after about 30 minutes, the early crowd would be looking to leave anyway, so why not direct them back into the church and we could play our set for them from 6:30 to 7. Sounded reasonable to me.

So I pass this on to the group. I got very skeptical faces in return. So we got in a circle and prayed, then went and had ice cream. At about 6:25, I reminded the pastor we were starting shortly. We began a few minutes late, with a couple of people in the church. By the time we began the second song, everyone else came in and we got the set really rolling.

And it ROCKED! And it was SPIRITUAL! And people were clapping and standing up and praising! One of the songs, How Great Is Our God, was just so moving for me. I was just belting out the song and put all of my emotion into it. We were moving around and doing our thing and after half an hour I was sweating my ass off. But it was AWESOME! One of our skeptical band members just hugged me afterwards and thanked me for bringing the Spirit among us. At that's what it was really all about. We play, and the Spirit moves us.

Afterward, I went to the game with Grasshopper. He got there about 10 minutes late but got plenty of playing time. The kids had a water gun war and more ice cream after the game. When we got home, I happened to go outside for a few minutes and it hit me. I went into church today really stressed and ready to snarl at people if they gave me any crap. I left church, after nearly exhausting myself emotionally and physically, totally at peace. That's the power of music my friends. That's why I continue to play and give my music to God.

Comments

Popular Posts