Are they insane?

I've been meaning to post about this for a week now and haven't had the chance until now. The Wife had a surprise for me when I came home one day last week. It was a flyer that came in the mail. I was from American Compass. In case you haven't heard of them, their tag line on the flyer is: Books you can believe in, American Compass, The Conservative Alternative! Yes, true beleivers, I, the practical DEFINITION of American Liberal, was mailed a book list for conservatives.

I simply could not believe the trash they're selling. It nearly made my blood boil from looking at the titles and synopses. Here's some of the gems you can get:

Rebel In Chief - How George W Bush is Redefining The Conservative Movement and Transforming America. It contains this lovely quote by the Man himself: "You can't worry about being vindicated, because the truth of the matter is, when you do big things, it's going to take a while for history to really understand." Because, you know, we're too stupid right now to figure out what he's doing for us. Because he's like SOOO much smarter than us.

Herding Cats - The autobiography of Trent Lott - Nuff said.

Men in Black - Former lawyer and talk show host Mark Levin "throws the book at out-of-control judges who ignore the Constitution, dismantle citizen's rights, and make up their own coercive law." You know, like giving women the right to choose and blacks equality under the law (neither of which was in the Constituion I believe).

The Truth About Hillary - "Despite more than a dozen years in the national spotlight, Hillary has managed to keep many secrets from public view - especially about her turbulent marriage." This book purports to expose the truth. So can someone explain to me what the fuck her turbulent marriage has to do with anything? It makes her less effective as a Senator because her husband cheated on her?

Condi - The Condoleezza Rice Story. Sure to be a barn burner of a book.

Against All Odds - The Chuck Norris story. Again, nuff said.

Now, there are actually some books in here I might read. There's a new book about Pope John Paul II. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman looks interesting (at least from what I heard from the author on Bill Maher). The biography of John McCain might also be interesting.

I think what annoys me most about this thing is that there is a section on "Living Faith" which is, guess what, all Christian books. Because any good conservative is obviously a Christian. We must not have any Liberal Christians or Non-Christian Conservatives. At least it doesn't appear that Conservatives want any Non-Christians to associate with them.

I must say, though, that my favorite book in the list has got to be Thank You, President Bush. It is a group of essays by such notables as Jeb Bush, Colin Powell, and Focus on Family's Dr. James Dobson. The comment on the success of the Bush administration. I'm going to assume it was published prior to 2004 when Powell was still part of the administration.

Comments

Popular Posts