New motto

My wife was looking at an autism site last night and showed me the 10 Commandments for Parents of Handicapped Children. Not that I consider my son handicapped or anything. However, one of them really struck me. It says in full: Answer only to your conscience: then you'll be able to answer to your child. You need not justify your actions to your friends or the public.

When I was around 12 or 13 (7th grade), I made a conscious decision that I was going to be a unique person and try to go my own way. I've never really been concerned what others think about me. The above statement pretty much says it all. I've ammeded it thus: Answer only to your conscience. You need not justify your actions to your friends or the public. Granted, the tricky part is to inform your conscience to make good decisions. But the underlying statement says it all for me. I've never felt the need to justify my actions to any both those closest to me, and I don't plan on changing.

Comments

Popular Posts