What a Day

If you live in the Northeast, then you've probably been snowed in today. I expected to have about a foot of snow in the driveway, so I got up early this morning to snowblow. There was about a foot of snow in the driveway. So I clean it out and find out from the Wife that school's out. She also tells me that the house is 57 degrees. The intakes for the furnace were covered in snow so the furnace wouldn't light. I cleared it out, but no joy. So I went out again and cleared more. There was the tense few minutes while the furnace ran through the cycle, SCORE! It lights.

I ended up taking the Wife's SUV to work for the all wheel drive and heated seats. I took a little while to get there, but I made it ok. I was figuring on being one technician down since my lead guy texted me early to say he was snowed in. I get to work and there's an email from my other tech that he was staying home with the kids since school was canceled. So I'm left by myself to support 700 people. Granted, a lot of them were probably home as well, but still. Much running around for me today.

So the day goes pretty decent. We decide to shut down shop a little early, so I go out to warm up the car and shovel off the snow. So I toss my stuff in the car, lean over to get the snow brush, start the car, close the door and start clearing off the snow. Can you see where this might be going? I finish cleaning off the car, go to open the door, and it doesn't open. Yup, while leaning over to get the snow brush, I must have hit the lock button on the key, which is one of those remote keyless jobs. So here I am, stuck outside the car with it running and the keys inside. Just great.

I check with our security guys and of course they don't have any kind of Slim Jim to try and unlock it. And we don't have AAA. So I'm left with my only option. I have to call the Wife to put the kids in the car and drive out to where I work to unlock the car. I've been feeling guilty about it all evening. I felt terrible to make her drive in the messy roads, especially with the kids. Of course, she's been milking it for as much as she can. Still, I feel like a complete idiot.

Snow is supposed to end tonight, but then the lake effect kicks in with high winds. So I'm sure there'll be more snow to come.

Comments

Popular Posts