No time for the internet

I've been really busy lately and have had minimal time for the internet. Usually I check blogs at work, but I've been wrapped up in a MAJOR project that is taking all my extra time. It's already a week behind and now I'll be off for the next three days to stay home with the boys for February break. I'll be checking in to work and possibly going in the office a couple of time to keep it moving. It's got visibility all the way to the CIO who's asking that we get it done as soon as possible. And I've run into "technical difficulties". If I make this happen relatively smoothly, I'll be a big hero. We'll see how it goes.

I did my taxes today. Tax Cut software rocks. In about an hour, I had the whole thing done. Cost me $30 and I'm getting a HUGE refund. I'm most pleased. We'll probably use it for landscaping and decorating. Though I'm pretty sure some of the extra will go on the principle of the mortgage. It would be great to pay it off early.

At church today, we heard the story of how David could have killed Saul but didn't and also about Jesus asking us to love our enemies. The priest was talking about how hard that is, about taking someone who hates you and making them your friend instead. He also talked about how David, in telling Saul that he had the chance to kill him but did not, was actually trying to convert Saul and essentially make a friend out of him. I couldn't help think of our esteemed President and how he professes to be a Christian. I just can't see him doing things in this mind frame.

I think of how perhaps things in Iraq might have turned out differently if he'd taken the high road, and tried to convert Saddam. Not to Christianity, per se, but to being a progressive leader that cared for his people. Granted, there probably would have been no chance of success. But think about how this would have affected Bush's and America's reputation. How would the international community have responded to the US if we tried to be peacemakers and diplomats. Of taking a strategy of containment of Iraq but doing everything we could to give them the opportunity to "do the right thing". And how could this apply to our relations with other countries?

Imagine what we could do with a real Christian President. One that actually follows Christ's teachings about loving your enemies and praying for those that persecute you. The other thing that struck me that our priest said was that loving your enemies doesn't mean going out and looking for situations where you find enemies or letting your enemy walk all over you. But strive to do good to your enemies. What could we possibly achieve then?

Comments

Popular Posts