Back in the day...

Something Julie posted the other day flashed me back to high school. I've got so many memories I thought it would be nice to take a stroll through some of them, good or bad. But where to start? I don't have one particular story that really jumps out, so I'll start by rambling a little (cause you I suck at that).

I remember making a concious decision in either 7th or 8th grade to be different. By that, I mean be my own person and perhaps just a little against the grain. I hung out with a group we called the "grubs". It was the jeans and t-shirts wearing, heavy metal listening crowd. This might be equated to the stoner crowd today in that it was a popular past-time for that crowd. While I did not partake, I liked hanging out with those guys.

After 2 years of public junior high, my parents felt that I could get the best possible education by going to Catholic high school. Mind you, we were not very religous and my spiritual development did not even come up when discussing which high school I should attend. So, considering most of the people I went to high school with had been in the Catholic school system their whole lives, I was very much the odd man out.

I kind of encouraged people to beleive me to be an iconoclast. I recall being intent on ruling the world. I very much believed in the concept of an enlightened dictator (ie, me) that could be fair with everyone and by this fairness rid the planet of racism, hate, and general badness. I was quite the idealist, was I not? I believed in legalizing prostitution and taxing the hell out of it. What need would there be of income tax then? Plus you could make sure the prostitutes were clean. Remember, this was before AIDS.

I think one of my most rebellious acts was posting of an inverted pentagram in my locker during my sophmore year. I was in a very anti-Christian phase. Unfortunately, not everyone got it. One of my classmates walked by while I had my locker open and said "Dude, Rush rules!" (sigh) Obviously he didn't look at his Rush album covers closely enough. I got over my obvious evil personna by junior year and later had a picture of Lita Ford playing a kick ass BC Ritch Mockingbird in my locker instead. This was before Lita Ford turned into a sellout slut and still wrote good music.

I think next post I'll relate some of my adventures with my buddy R. Our friendship began freshman year and continues to this day, though we only see each other a few times a year.

Comments

Popular Posts