Marines - Love them or Kill Them

OK, according to ABC News, a Marine general made the following comments when talking about war and Afghanistan:

"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. … It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Now, some people might be outraged, but I got a good chuckle. I've know many Marines, worked with them back in my Navy days. If you want someone to go in and kick another country's ass, you send the Marines. No offense to the Army guys out there. I've known several of them as well. Marine officers go through much more intesive training than their Army counterparts. Marines are usually the ones to go in first and suffer the brunt of initial casualties. Let's face it, these guys are hard core.

While it's a little insensitive, I prefer my warriors to be warriors. Not that they should be cruel or go out of their way to pick a fight. However, the bottom line is that we send our armed forces out there to kill people. When we invaded Iraq, we told them who the enemy was and their job was to get them. If you're not willing to end up in a gun battle, you shouldn't be a Marine.

That being said, it probably wasn't a good thing to say it is fun shooting at guys just because they may abuse thier women. I'm sure he meant it lightheartedly to get some chuckles. It's been my experience that people need to lighten up a little. Our culture is getting much too PC. It's getting to be a crime to be frank and rough around the edges. Being in the military is a stressful job. Beleive me I know. We blow off steam by making light of what we do. So just relax people. Cut these guys a little bit of a break.

BTW, the article states the General was given a verbal reprimand and directed to choose his words more carfully.

Comments

Popular Posts