Leadership 101

I've been reading a lot about leadership lately for the courses I'm taking this semester. Probably the best things I've taken away from my MBA courses so far are those that make me think about how to be a better manager and leader. I've been thinking about vision along with this reading. I feel the need to emphasize customer service more with my team. I've got a few team members that seem (to me at least) to find our customers "bothersome". The complain about going above and beyond for them and seem to think the organization should take a "you missed the deadline too bad" kind of approach. I don't see it that way. My challenge now is to try and instill in them the passion I have for what we do. I think a couple of my employees are showing up just for a paycheck. And while I wouldn't fire someone just for that, my feeling is that if they don't want to come in every day with the attitude to do the most they can to help the customers, perhaps they should find a job they enjoy.

We'll see how it goes, but my boss is behind me so perhaps I can turn it around and make our organization just a little better.

Comments

Jammie J. said…
True customer service, which I define as caring for the customer as best possible within the companies guidelines is definitely a lost art these days.

Most customer service reps are either so legalistic that they don't care how that impacts their customer, or they simply don't know how to interpret things so they give the easy answer (to themself), or they just want to get off the phone regardless of whether the issue is resolved. It's maddening to the customer.

People who show up just for the pay check, well, that IS the primary reason for working, and it is important to have personal/work balance, but there does have to be that balance of caring about your job, too, so you CAN balance your home life.

I read or heard something that made me laugh: If it's a problem at work, it's just a challenge. If it's a problem at home, then it's a Problem.
sydwynd said…
Jammie: I don't expect my staff to give their lives to the organization. I don't and there isn't that kind of loyalty any more. But there is an expectation in our organization that you need to care. At a minimum I think you should be doing the best job you can for your pay, not just the minimum to get by. All I'm asking of my staff is that while they're at work, they give me 100% of their ability on work time. If they want to give me more, that's awesome. But if you're giving me the bare minimum, don't expect me to go out of my way for you.
Jude said…
I agree with what you've said Vince. Where I work (CAA/AAA) our variable pay and any raises we may get individually are rated on many things but MOSTLY on member (customer) feedback. We have to care, and we have to do what it takes to make our member's experiences as friendly and professional as possible.

Most of us need to work for a living, but if we're not happy doing what we are supposed to do, then we really should be doing something we like. Good "Customer Service" isn't as easy to find as it once was, and it's so obvious in a lot of people who work with the public. You can tell some of them hate their job. When you hit on someone who loves going the extra mile for people they get your repeat business. Period.

I wish you much luck with your staff, you've got the right idea!
sydwynd said…
Jude: Thanks. It is difficult getting others to share your passion for something. Helping others is just part of what I do. It sometimes mystifies me why others that do this for a living don't share that passion.
Jude said…
My sentiments exactly.

Gee if I ever move there I should come work for you. *grin*
sydwynd said…
Jude: You're hired!

Popular Posts