My cheese got moved

Today I had a call scheduled with our VP of IT in our office. By the end of the week they’re going to announce the new IT organizational structure. I was hoping I’d get picked to head up the Customer Service organization. So when I called, I was informed who the new Customer Service Manager would be, the one that directly reports to the CIO. And it wasn’t me.

Not that I’d really expected to get the job, but I certainly feel I’m qualified. And I can certainly work with the person that’s my new boss, but I really feel like he’s more my peer than my boss. Actually, the thing that’s really concerning me is that in talking to my counterparts here, it’s looking like none of the people out of this office are getting picked for these senior jobs.

To give a little background, we merged with another company about 18 months ago. About 2 months ago, our new CIO stated that the IT department was broken, and it was primarily a management issue in the office in Schenectady. And that the new structure would look and feel more like what we have here. So who is going to run this new organization? Managers from Schenectady.

I’ve been trying to be optimistic about this merger and to be an agent of positive change. Right now, I’m genuinely concerned. Many of my duties cross over into the network administration side. I’m concerned that this new structure actually makes me step back. I’m looking for more responsibility, not less. I’ll know more next week when I have a one on one with the “new boss” and see what his vision is. And how well he responds to my vision. And how much he enables me to make my vision real.

I hate to say it, but I may have to dust off my resume. Which really sucks, because I love where I work and the people I work with. But I suspect that the culture that failed in our other location will just perpetuate itself and infect what we have here. And if that happens, I may not be able to stay.

Updates will come as things go on. Stay tuned people.

Comments

Popular Posts