God Save Queen

I've decided to post first about the Queen concert. So many things happened over the weekend that it's going to take a few posts to get it all in. However, one of the points of the trip was the concert and it was the most emotional for me so I thought I'd begin there.

I met up with Julie at the concert. We'd gotten together the day before, so this wasn't our first meet, but that's another story. She had Rick and her mom with her. Both are very cool people. Once inside, Julie and I bought some souveniers. I got a T-Shirt and a Brian May/Queen/Paul Rogers 2005 six pence, which is the coin Brian uses as a guitar pick. I tried it out on my guitar. I found it too small and not my style, but it is cool to have.

My seat turned out to be on the floor. When I bought the ticket, all I knew was the general area that price seats were. I thought I would be in the first row of seats off of the floor. It turns out I was on the floor, dead center, 10 rows back from the runway the had going out from the stage. Totally awesome seats!

Queen started with Tie Your Mother Down. When everyone came out I was totally blown away. It was so unreal. For about the first 10 minutes it felt like I was watching the concert on TV or something. It took a while to sink in that I was seeing them live. Seeing Brian May up close and personal like that was probably the ultimate for me. The guy is my biggest guitar hero. And he didn't disappoint.

I liked the fact that during the show, Brian did some songs, Roger sang some songs, and Paul Rogers sang some songs. They really spread it out and let everyone take the spotlight for a while. Two things really stuck out for me. The first was watching Brian after he did 39 and Love of My Life. He really looked choked up with emotion. And according to his website, he really was. I think it was overwhelming for the band and the audience.

The other thing that really affected me was when the did BoRap. They had Freddie playing on the screen behind the band from the Magic tour. The had the track of him playing piano and singing. The band played along with the track. It was like having him there. Paul Rogers came out after the operatics and they finished the song. Normally, entertainers, whether music, movies, whatever, don't do anything for me. I could care less what they have to say or what they do. Queen and Freddie are different. When Freddie died, it was like part of me died with him. Queen's music was so much a soundtrack for my life. Certain songs were very important to me at different times. Losing Freddie meant no more new songs, no more new emotions I could express through them. It's hard to explain. Even after 13 years, I still get choked up when I hear songs from the Innuendo CD, released just before he died. Those Are The Days of Our Lives and The Show Must Go On were also very hard on me.

All in all the show was everything I'd hoped and more. If I get a chance to see them again, I probably will. I don't know if it will be as good as this was, but I must thank Queen for coming back to the states and putting on what had to be the best show I'd ever seen. The only thing really missing was having John Deacon on the bass. That would have been icing on the cake.

If any of you get a chance to see this show, then go. You will not regret it.

BTW, now that I've seen Brian May in person, I really want one of these. However, the Wife woulk KILL ME TO DEATH! SEVERAL TIMES. Also, last it appears that last Wednesday was my blogiversary. I've been at this over a year now. Where does the time go?

Comments

Popular Posts