More drama

Just to show you that the hypothetical wife's hypothetical place of employement is not the only source of drama in the little world of my brain, there is non-hypothetical drama at my non-hypothetical place of employment! I must warn anyone that actually works with me that if you're reading this, I'm not referring to you. If you think I am, you must have a guilty conscience about something and should immediately seek absolution from your clergy of choice.

As many of you may know, my company merged with another company a while back. Recently, the IT departments reorganized so nearly everyone is reporting to someone new. My original departmental team has been broken up between at least 2 new organizations and people are reporting all over the place right now. It's been a bit chaotic.

So anyway, I was talking with a co-worker and former team-mate about some frutstrations with the new organization. He was really upset about the way he'd been treated in particular, and the way his new team was managed in general. He was genuinely concerned that some of the management styles in practice were hurting the organization. Our new CIO has an open door policy and encourages us to be honest with each other. So my co-worker felt he should email the CIO about the situation, and talked broadly about issues going on, citing some specific examples of positive things going on as well as some of the negative things he felt were hurting the department.

So today, he pulls me aside and tells me he met with the CIO. It appears the CIO was not really buying into what he was saying. His solution was to set up a meeting with himself, the CIO, and the senior manager of the team in question. Of course, my co-worker mentioned that this manager was part of the problem.

You see what's going on, here? Well, what my co-worker tells me is that with all this going on, perhaps now might be a good time for other areas with concerns to voice thier opinions as well so it doesn't appear that it's one voice crying out alone in the wilderness. Immediately I felt a cringing in my neck, they kind you get when you see the axe falling and don't want it to fall on your neck. I got the distinct impression that my co-worker felt he'd stuck his neck out too far. And was asking someone else to stick their neck out a little as well.

You see my dillema? I really respect my co-worker and feel he got shafted in the reorganization. I also agree that there are issues with the team in question that need to be addressed. But I'm not sure it's a good idea to confront the issue in this manner. What to do? Leave my co-worker hanging, or help him out and risk alienating a team I need to work with?

What are your guys thoughts? In a day or two I'll post what I did and how it turned out (that part I'll know more tomorrow). Don't you just love a cliffhanger?

Comments

Popular Posts