How's your weekend going so far?

To begin, I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments on my last post. I thought it was a great discussion and I learned a lot. I'll make sure to do another post on religion next time I want a huge comment list. You guys rule!

This has been a outdoor work kind of weekend. I've spent the last two days doing all kinds of yardwork. The big project for Saturday was to seed a large area of our backyard where a tree had been removed. Throwing down seed and starter fertilizer was easy. However, I then had to cover it with top soil. Now, there are some pile of topsoil in our neighborhood, since it's not finished yet. One is next door and one is across the street. I ran into the dilema that the one next door has been there a while and is very wet and difficult to shovel in a wheelbarrow. The one across the street is very loose and easy to shovel, but is like 3 times as far away. I eventually ended up using the pile across the street, but now I'm sore everywhere because of it. Even my butt muscles are sore. I must have moved nearly 30 wheelbarrows of dirt to get everything covered.

Today, I needed to mow the lawn. I got it mostly complete, but with just a little left to go, the mower wouldn't start any longer. Turns out the safty cable that shuts off the engine if you let go of the mower got all frayed and now won't work right. So I have to get a new one. I also cut an edge for landscaping in the front of the house. I still have a lot of work to do with it but I've had enough for one weekend.

We had a good family day today. After church (and my inability to finish mowing the lawn) we went to one of our county parks for a picnic lunch. Afterwards, we went to the conservatory at the park and looked at tropical plants. The boys enjoyed that. They had a fish pond with the HUGEST goldfish you've ever seen. Some of them were like 2 feet long and must have wieghed 5 or 6 pounds. We then went to one of the local cemeteries to check on the Wife's Grandmother's grave. Of course, this required more outside work as no one had done any planting in a while and we had to get rid of all the grass and weeds.

Tomorrow we can march in the Memorial Day parade with the scouts if we like, but it requires being at the meeting place at 8 am. That's WAY to early for me. I'm trying to prep Grasshopper that we probably won't go, but he really wants to. I may have to get up early anyway. sigh. We'll see how that goes.

On a totally different subject, I'm having a musical crisis of sorts. It's not really a crisis, it's more of a lack of satisfaction. With the Alive at 5 group on summer break, I suppose I'm going through a little rock withdrawal. I've played with the folk group at church the last couple of weeks. It's fun, but it's no longer the same. I miss the dynamic of having the drums and crunchy guitars. Going pure acoustic and doing folk music just seems so, unsatisfying. I did speak with our music director, and there is some question as to whether the Alive at 5 mass will continue. He asked me if I'd mind doing it once or twice a month instead of every week. I don't have a problem with that as it is a big time commitment on Sundays.

My other "problem" so to speak is that I'm missing playing really heavy music. In case you didn't know, VH1 is having a Metal Month. It culminates Wednesday with the VH1 Rock Honors. Normally I wouldn't care, but Queen is getting honored so I must watch. And for Julie, there's also Def Leppard (along with Kiss and Judas Priest). For me, as I'm not a big Def Lep fan, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. But I'm having trouble being motivated musically. I've been reading some columns Brian May did a while back and they have indeed been inspiring, but what I really want to do is turn my amp up to 11 and make some eardrums bleed. Not really what I can do with any of the groups I'm playing in right now. Kind of a return to my roots as a guitar player (I grew up with Nugent, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest). Anyway, I'm sure it will all sort itself out soon. Things are so busy with the house and kids that I'm not really minding the break from music.

So I hope everyone's having a good long weekend. I know our family has been enjoying the time off and just hanging out doing homey/family kind of stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts