Palm Sunday

As many of you know, today is Palm Sunday. I'm not sure how it is for other Christian families, but in my family, it's a pretty big day. Almost on par with Easter, but not quite.

Our day started fine, actually. Grasshopper didn't complain at all about going to Church, a first in quite a long time. We opted to do the children's liturgy today, mostly to get out of standing up for a LONG time for today's readings. I think we should have stood instead. The last time we did children's liturgy, the kids were attentive and well behaved. Today, the boys (mostly) did not want to listen and were disruptive. The Wife was ready to kill them. The girls were a little giggly, but at least they quieted down when you asked them. The rest of Mass went very well after that.

We had dinner at my Mom's house. As per tradition in my family, we made sure to bring palms to exchange. The Wife doesn't really understand it, as there's no liturgical reason for it. It's an Italian thing. We had the usual HUGE dinner, with homemade green lasagne and prime rib. One of my nephews had a soccer game or something and didn't make it, which resulted in a little less insanity with the kids. Unfortunately, my anti-christ nephew was there and annoyed Grasshopper to no end.

The nicest thing about today was that since I went to my parents, I did not play at the 5 pm Mass as I normally do. That meant that I actually got to relax on a Sunday. We came home around 5 pm and I even got to get a short nap in. I can't remember the last time I got a nap. It was heavenly.

As a final thing, I mentioned on E-Lo's site that I have a killer Fettuccine Alfredo recipe. So I shall post it here for all of you that are fans of good creamy sauces. The reason I love this recipe is that you can prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking so it's quick and easy. Enjoy!

Fettuccine Alfredo

3/4 pound uncooked fettuccine
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
large pinch ground white pepper (black will also do)
large pinch ground nutmeg (secret ingredient)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Cook fettuccine in large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes or as desired. Drain well and return to dry pot.

2. While fettuccine is cooking, place butter and cream in 10 inch skillet over medium low heat. Cook, stirring constatnly, until blended and mixture bubbles for 2 mintues. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in Parmesan cheese until thoroughly blended and fairly smooth. Return skillet briefly to heat if necessary to completely blend cheese, but don't let sauce bubble or cheese will become lumpy and tough.

3. Pour sauce over fettuccine in pot. Place over low heat. Stirand toss with 2 forks until sauce is slightly thickened and fettuccine evenly coated, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts