Needed to write

So I’m trying to blog less, but I just felt the need to write. The Wife will let me know if I’m going too far, but it is 10:30 at night, the kids are in bed, and the Wife is safely tucked into her chair with her blanket and cat. She’s still awake but I doubt it will last much longer. She’s in her comfy mode before dozing in the chair.

Tonight I met with my church music group at my place to begin planning music for the fall. I had been a little down on it the last couple of weeks, mostly because it was getting difficult balancing music and home. Once the middle of June hit, there was so much going on it seemed like one more thing that required I make special time and got in the way of family stuff.

Tonight, the entire group was at my house. We had pizza and talked about music, our ministry, what we want to achieve as a group, and what music we should play. We listened to some songs and laughed a lot. I felt energized again and ready to start playing again. This is a great group of people to work with and share music with.

Later, after the boys were in bed and all the evening chores were complete, I decided to sit down and read from Scripture. I had been reading 2 Corinthians and hadn’t picked it up in a few days. I was reading chapter 8, which talks about giving. It primarily is about monetary contributions, but in the notes, and while reading the chapter, I couldn’t help think that Paul was talking not just about money, but the gifts God gives us as well. I’ve felt for a long time that my talent as a musician is a gift from God, and it is my responsibility to use this talent to give back to the Church and the community. It’s one of the main reasons I’m in music ministry.

I think everything today that I felt and read today was God’s way of telling me that He indeed called me to a music ministry, and that what I’m doing is the proper use of these talents. Like I mentioned previously, as God’s ministers, we spread the seed, and God takes it from there. I’m spreading the seed with music, hopefully getting people to at least come to Mass. Hopefully, the liturgy then puts something in the hearts of those there to keep them coming. One of our musicians said that right now the only reason he’s a Catholic is this music group. My feeling is it is a start. Hopefully as he grows older, he’ll remain a Catholic because of his faith in God. But we need to start somewhere. Again, planting those seeds to they can grow.

On a separate note, thanks to those of you in the blogging community that have been supportive. As I said, I plan on maintaining this blog. I’ll blog when I have something to say. I’m looking at everything going on in my life to make sure I get the right balance of work, family, and personal. I’m confident the Wife will help me keep it straight. I would like to publicly say (not because I’m sucking up, but because it’s true and I want her to know it) that I’m madly in love with her and that I appreciate everything she does. I can be a real pain in the ass to live with sometimes. I can be moody and angry over stupid stuff and I tend to take it out on the ones around me. She puts up with all of my shit and then some. I thank God all the time for giving her to me as a wife. You’re the only woman there is for me Lady. Sleep tight and don’t come to bed too late.

Comments

Popular Posts