Medical update

The Wife and I went to see a dietician/nutritionist this week. We discussed diet and portion control and managing diabetes. Bascially she told me that even with pre-diabetes you need to change you lifestyle as if you actually HAD diabetes. The most interestng thing she said was that activity was a diabetic's "medicine". 30 minutes of activity at least 5 times a week goes a long way in controlling blood sugar. We discussed my current diet and she said I was doing a lot of the right things (I've actually dropped 8 pounds already). So I know need to get on a regular regimen of excersize/activity.

The Wife and I agreed that the whole house needs to adopt a healthier lifestyle. I've already warned the kids that we'll have to find some alternatives to some of their favorite foods. For example, the boys love Pop Tarts for breakfast. Until you see the amount of sugar in them. Grasshopper was really disappointed and thought he wouldn't be able to eat anything for breakfast if he didn't have his Pop Tart. I reminded him there are plenty of other things, like cereal, waffles, french toast, etc and he gave me that "light bulb going on" kind of "OH!" We need to look at what the boys drink as well. One 8 oz glass of apple juice has the same amount of sugar as 3 or 4 apples. And none of the fiber.

I have to see my doctor again in a couple of months to see how the combination of diet and activity affect my blood sugar and we'll go from there.

In work news, things are getting interesting. Nothing I can really talk about, but suffice it to say that my co-supervisor and I are a united front in moving our organization to where we want it to be, and that the right people appear to be noticing who's getting the work done. We'll see how things go from there.

Comments

Popular Posts