Tis the Season

Well, we got little accomplished this weekend in the way of preparing for Christmas. We did go to a Christmas party last night, the annual event held by our high school friend P. It was a lot of fun, as usual. There were tons of kids running around this year. They must have been all well behaved, because we never yelled at our kids and didn't hear anyone yelling at their kids. The Wife was talking with P and they both agreed they're having trouble getting into the season this year. I'm not totally into it yet, but it's still early for me.

We starting to get some ideas now on our Christmas lists. Some of it we'll get on-line, but I need to wait until the end of the week when there's money in the account. First of the month is the mortgage payment, and since I get paid every other week, this time the first came on the off week. I hate that. Anyway, I did get some items purchased for the boys on Friday. The Wife would have gone, but it was windy and her tires are shot. The item was large and required the SUB to bring home, so I braved the wind and bald tires. New tires are on order and should be in Tuesday. I'm SOOOOOO thrilled I have to purchase tires for her vehicle after 20,000 miles. If this pair doesn't last, I'm going to get rid of the thing. I swear!

Today we went to the Genesee Country Museum. It's a working village set in the mid 1800s. It was corporate appreciation weekend and since my company is a sponsor, we all got in free! It was nice. They had a Civil War Santa (he had on a Star jacket and red striped pants), a 19th century Father Christmas, as well as traditional Santa. We had a wagon ride drawn by horses, and the kids got to decorate cookies. Quite pleasant. Today wasn't as windy as yesterday so the cold didn't feel too bad.

How are you mid-West types holding up? It looks like that part of the country got pounded. I feel for you guys, but better there than here.

A last couple of updates on the whole Legal Guy Jerk situation. As I said, our VP of Operations called me to find out what happened. She was very supportive. Our legal staff went out of their way to show appreciation for me and my team. The admin assistant brought us bagels. Her boss (the top legal type in our office) went around and collected appreciation stickers from each of her staff for me and my team (it's one of those deals if you fill a board with them, you get a free goodie). She also got me a Dr. Seuss book, Marvin K.Mooney Will You Please Go Now!, but put a post it over it with the person's name. Oh my God, I was dying! She's too much.

She also told me a couple of other incidents about this gentleman. First, he's never heard of the 5 P's (prior planning prevent piss-poor performance, piss-poor is one word people). He came out to Rochester to do a town hall kind of meeting. His secretary had the day off, he didn't check out a laptop prior to coming to ensure he had access to his office, AND he forgot all of his presentation materials in the office. THEN, when he left in a huff, he didn't tell the person that rode in with him he was leaving effectively stranding her in Rochester. The other personnel that were part of the team had to leave early to get her back home. Words cannot begin to describe this guy. Good thing he doesn't work for me, because he wouldn't for very long.

To end on a positive work note, I'll be in Syracuse tomorrow for a few hours for some meetings on integration of our networks. I'm getting involved in more things and I think my name is starting to be recognized in the right circles. While I'm not one for playing political games at work, the best way to get promoted is to show the right people what you can do. I'm a firm believer in action speaking louder than words.

Comments

Popular Posts