Music Update

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their encouraging words for Maverick. I printed them out for him and he was quite appreciative. I offered to let him write his own comment, but he was "too shy". He is keeping an open mind about baseball. I'll let you know how he does at his next game.

Thurdsay evening I met with the other members of my Christian rock band and finally got up to speed with what's going on. Normally, I would call it my church rock band, but, our Sunday evening Mass has been cancelled. There's some politics behind the whole thing, I think, but I don't get involved in the politics at church, so basically I'll say that the pastor was no longer behind the project and he is the final authority. We've been told we can provide music at some of our Wednesday worship services, but it's not clear if those are going to continue either.

We (the adults in the band that is) have decided to keep going on our own. I, personally, was not completely happy with doing a Sunday evening mass every week for various reasons. The last few weeks there was some sort of frustration on a sub-conscious level. I thought (and prayed) about it and I've realized I'd missed the other dimension to being a rock musician: performing. Playing at a Mass is not preforming, as you are limited in your selection of music and behaviour due to being at a Mass. Some things are just inappropriate and some songs just don't work in an outlet like that.

When we discussed it, I mentioned I'd like to just start playing for any group that will have us, whether it be a youth group, a diosocene event, whatever. One of the other churches in our area would love to have us play a Mass once a month, so we can still do that. We can also take the opportunity to try and reach more people with our music ministry. This also frees us up from the constraints of doing only what our parish would allow so to speak. We are no longer one of St. Pius X's music groups. We are a band, Faith On Fire. And we'd be more than happy to play at any event or at any church that invites us. But now you need to ASK us.

I'll keep you posted on how this moves forward. We still need to break it to the youth in the band. But I think this is going to give us a lot more freedom to just do what the Spirit moves us to do.

Comments

Popular Posts