The Post that Almost Wasn't (or The One True Faith)

I hadn’t intended to write this post yet, but I’ve come across a few blogs that mention the general topic. Also, a passage I read from 2 Corinthians brought me back to it, so I think God’s trying to tell me something. To preface, the views I’m expressing are my own based more on what I feel than any solid research I’ve done. So take it for what it’s worth.

I’m sure most of the people that have read this blog know that I’m a Catholic. I wasn’t a very active Catholic until college, mostly due to the gently prodding of the Wife to come to Church with her. I respect other religions and the right of people to believe what they like. However, as I get older, I’m more convinced that all religions are a reflection of the same God, merely expressed differently.

I won’t say I’m a fanatic or anything, but I deeply believe and am convinced that Christianity is the “true” religion in that its teachings are the representation of God and His will, and that Jesus really was a man that was also God. I sincerely believe that if all people truly followed Jesus’ example, love of God and neighbor, that the world would be a wonderful place.

I don’t think that Eastern philosophy is in any conflict with Christianity. Most of them deal with harmony of the body and spirit. A laudable goal and anything that can bring a person closer to God is beneficial. Pagan religions worship a God/Goddess or spirits. However, I feel these are just manifestations of God Himself. After all, God made all things, therefore what we sense in the world comes from Him. Some people simply express this in a different way.

The other two great religions of the world, Judaism and Islam, worship the same God. Sure, there is the argument about Jesus’ divinity, but more things connect the three religions than separate them.

I was tempted not to post this piece as of this morning. However, I read a blog where the writer stated they didn’t have faith and cringed at the phrase God will provide. I commented that God will provide if you have faith. Things didn’t start turning around for me personally until I let go of trying to make things happen in my life and trusted God to take care of me. Since then, I’ve gotten everything that I previously asked for and tried to get through my own efforts. Faith is the key. Whatever you call the deity you worship, I firmly believe it’s still God. We need to have faith in Him and He will give us peace and comfort.

Comments

Popular Posts