Lead me Lord

For those of you that see my Facebook posts, you may know that last week I submitted my resume for a promotion at work. One of my collegues left the company and her position opened up. I thought it might be a good move for me as it would still be managing first line support teams. Well, today I had one of my periodic 1 on 1 meetings with my boss (who this position also reports to). As was expected, one of the supervisors on the team also submitted their resume for the job. She reported to my co-worker that left. My boss basically told me that he'd be happy to interview me for the postion, but that if it came down to chosing between her and I, she'd get the job. So I've decided to withdraw my application.

Now, before you get all indignant and outraged (which I appreciate), truthfully I was relieved. Odd as it sounds, when I applied for the job, I wasn't sure it was the best thing to do. There would be significantly more travel involved with that position. Further, I was concerned that I would be further removed from the customer. As it turns out, I actually enjoy interfacing directly with our customers as well as my business partners.

I really do enjoy what I do. I've been really successful in this role. I get to "get my hands dirty". I've always believed the Lord will lead me where I need to go. When I first learned this position would open up, my first thought was whether this was an opportunity the Lord was presenting or if I was already in the right place. I believe that prayer was answered today.

Truthfully, I'm content where I am right now. Balance between work and home is good. I have the time to devote to Ellen and the kids (and school). And there's nothing wrong with being content. Would I like to do more? Sure. But not at a cost to my personal life. Also, I'm not totally sure that I didn't apply for this position to prove to some people at work that I could do it. I know there are some people, some in senior positions, that don't think I'm capable of being a "manager" as our oganization defines it. I certainly don't agree with them on what a "manager" is. But that isn't the right reason to take a job. I don't have anything to prove to myself.

If the Lord needs me to be somewhere else, He'll provide my the opportunity. He always has in the past. In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and enjoy it.

Comments

Jude said…
Okay I admit my first instinct was to get all hot under the collar.... but reading your entire post has changed that immensely. I believe wholeheartedly that you're right about the reasons you wouldn't have got the new position. You enjoy doing what you are doing now, and when the Big Guy decides you need a nudge in another direction you'll know. :-)
sydwynd said…
Jude: Thanks. I think I know why I am where I am so we'll see.
Jammie J. said…
Being able to see the big picture and rest in His care, and knowing your priorities are all gifts of grace.

Good for you.
sydwynd said…
Jammie: Thanks.

Popular Posts