The One That Got Away

In my life (so far, that is) I have played 3 PERFECT guitars. Those are guitars that the minute I picked them up and played them, I said to myself, "I HAVE to own this guitar!" There was a fourth that I really wanted, but that was more of an amazing deal on a guitar ($1500 guitar for $500) than a perfect guitar. So of these three guitars that I've played, I own 2. One is my Yamaha. The other is my Takamine 12 string acoustic.

The one that got away? Before I bought the Yamaha (and while I was a poor college student with no money), I found at my favorite guitar shop at that time a Gibson Les Paul Artisan model. I didn't know anything about it at the time. It was black. It had cool fret markers and a fine tuning bridge. And it played like a dream! However, it was also $600. And in 1986/87, being an unemployed (or at least, marginally employed) student, it was beyond my means. I have never seen one in person since.

However, periodically I search Ebay for them. Most of the ones I see are deep brown in color and have 3 pickups. The one I played, besides being black, had two pickups. Occasionally, I find a 3 pickup model in black, but it's just a passing interest since it wasn't one of the "three".

So today I do a search on Les Paul Artisan, and I find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-Les-Paul-Artisan_W0QQitemZ160202376896QQihZ006QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's The One That Got Away! I mean, it's IT! Exactly what I want! For those that don't want to click on the link, here's the picture:



So how much would you pay to get your dream whatever it is? Cause in case you didn't check the link, starting price on this baby is $3000. Buy it Now is $3800. Pretty pricey to make up for being poor as a youth.

So what does the peanut gallery think? How much would you spend to get that think you've always wanted but couldn't find?

BTW, if any of you would care to hook up an aging Rocker Guy trying to recapture a bit of his past, I would be highly grateful to have this suddenly show up on my doorstep. I would love that person forever and give them a hallowed place on this blog. I'd even say thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts