News item

This article was on ABC News website and on their telecast last night. It talks about a study by the CDC that shows incidents of autism appear to be on the rise. Autism now affects on average 1 in 150 people in the US. It's higher in some states such as New Jersey. It mentions that some if the rise may be due to new classifications of autism and better reporting. But even with all that, they think the numbers are just too high for that to take all of it into account. 1% of New Jersey's population has autism.

This story gave me mixed emotions. This study hopefully will raise more awareness and help to provide better services and support. But the numbers don't matter. I have an autistic child. Whether statistically it's 1% of the population or 0.05%, it doesn't change that fact. One of my good friends has two autistic boys. I fully understand her challenges.

I've got it kind of easy. There are times when I forget that Grasshopper is autistic. You might never know if you watched him and talked to him. However, there are other times it's glaringly obvious.

So what's my point? I don't really know. Whenever the Wife or I see articles and stories about autism or autistic children, we check it out. My biggest concern was something brought up in the article. What the hell happens when Grasshopper is out of school, whether it's high school or college? We're supposed to raise our kids to be self-sufficient. Granted he's only 8, but I worry that he won't be able to properly care for himself. I do simple things like just crossing the road, and I think, will Grasshopper ever think to look both ways before crossing? He can get into his own little world so easily. Things we take for granted I don't with him. I guess I can only pray that we can teach him the skills he needs.

Comments

Popular Posts