Music update

This weekend was quite the musical one. I worked in the studio on Saturday and practice with the new church praise group Sunday. It was one great weekend as far as music goes.

I had planned on doing drum tracks for one song and had guitar leads prepared for about 3 songs. I got through those in about the first hour and a half. Wanting to take advantage of the time I still had, I started doing guitar leads for more songs. Even though I had nothing prepared, I think they went rather well. I was trying to have more thought out leads for these songs (the best leads are well planned in advance, like Brian May stuff). However, I came up with some themes on the spot and am quite pleased with the results. I can now actually see the light at the end of this tunnel. The only thing left on the project (prior to mixing it that is) is vocals on all songs, leads on 2 songs, and miscellaneous tracks (sax solo, piano solo, perhaps some percussion stuff). I need to bring in additional musicians for the piano and sax, but at this rate, I should be in mix down by the end of the summer. I should be able to release this thing this year!

The praise group took two weeks off the the Palm Sunday/Easter holidays. After not practicing for two weeks, we came back more solid than when we left. Everything went hugely smooth! I was concerned that our first Mass (May 1) would be rough and that we wouldn't be ready. Now I'm completely confident. We were tight and the songs sounded great. I think this is going to be a great ministry. We have presiders lined up to say Mass and the whole thing is on track. I can't wait to we really get rolling. There's still some work to do but we're getting comfortable with each other now.

Amusing note from practice yesterday: one of our singers (a teenager) somehow managed to flip over a stone half wall at the entrance our our church and ended up in the mud. Not too bad, mostly hands all messy and some mud on the clothes. However, it was quite amusing, especially listening to all the excuses afterwards. My 9 year old complains the same way. I guess some things don't change as kids get older.

Next scheduled recording date is the middle of May, so hopefully I can get the majority of the tracks completed by then on the CD project. I'll give everyone an update then and might even have a tenative release date.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love Talas. Sink your teeth in to that!

Popular Posts