Busy busy busy!

Even though we been "childless" this week, there's still been plenty to do!  However, it seems to go much more smoothly when there's no kids underfoot!  Sunday we had a nice meal just the two of us. I can't remember the last time we had a quiet meal together at home where we could TALK to each other without either being interrupted or mediating an arguement.  It was rather nice!

We both took Tuesday off from work.  Ellen went to lunch with her sister-in-law and her neice and I ran around doing errands.  It was a peaceful kind of day.  I had originally planned on going mountain bike racing that day but by 5 pm it was still almost 90 degrees and wicked humid so I decided against it.  Not worth that much sweating and pain.  I've gotten some really nice rides in this week otherwise, though.

Wednesday we had originally planned on going on a ride but I got a message from a friend asking if we wanted to meet for dinner.  One of our pals that lives in Canda among those crazy French Canadians in Montreal was in town so we got together instead.  We had a LONG dinner at PF Chang's and then did some visiting at one of our friend's place afterwards.  Overall quite the enjoyable evening.  It turns out this circle of friends of ours from high school are all women, so I got to have a tasty meal surrounded by lovely ladies.  Can't ask for more?  The most amusing thing of the evening was when we were talking about books we were reading.  Of the 4 ladies, 3 of them, including my wife were all reading Pride and Prejudice.  They got a big laugh out of that.

I took today off from work as well to do some running around and generally enjoy not being at work.  Nicholas comes back home tomorrow and while it's been nice without the kids, I'm sort of looking forward to them returning.  I felt bad for Nicholas since he called me on my cell at work on Tuesday asking me to come up to scout camp for some event.  It was hard to make out what he was saying since the signal up there is terrible and the cell he was using cut out 2 of every 3 words.  He mentioned something about not knowing who to ask if he should do things and being picked on.  So I told him I couldn't come up and that we'd discussed it was too many 4.5 hour trips for me to do this year with his brother up there.  I also told him that I trust the scout leader's judgement and he can ask him whether he should be doing certain things.  I then asked him if he was having fun and in a bright, chipper, upbeat voice he says "Oh yes!".  The boy kills me.  He even sent us a post card.  Mind you, his brother, who has been there a week longer than him, hasn't bothered to send us anything.  At least ONE of my kids is thoughtful.

I've been having trouble keeping up with my internet "stuff" since we're so crazy busy at work right now, it's cutting into my internet time.  By the time I get home, who wants to be on the computer?  I'll have to do something about reducing my workload so I can catch up on other things.  For now I'm enjoying getting some reading done at home until school starts up again after labor day.  Wish me luck peeps!

Comments

Kate said…
Luck!
LOL-Can't ask for more?
1 out of 2 kids being thoughtful is a pretty good percentage!
Jude said…
Kids at home or not, you just have a BUSY life Vince! That's too funny that one sent a post card and one didn't, but I would hazard a guess that Christopher is having too much fun to think of doing so. That's a good thing!
sydwynd said…
Kate: Yes, one of our kids still thinks Mom and Dad are great. The other's a teenager. What else can you say?

Jude: Being busy is good. But it's nice to have some time to be busy with MY stuff instead of the kid's stuff.
Jude said…
Yes absolutely! Just imagine how much free time you'll have to stay busy with your own stuff when the boys are grown!
Jammie J. said…
Sounds like a fun and fulfilling week ... filled with all the stuff YOU love to do. :)

Ahh, yes, one sentimental child and one who doesn't have time. Age or personality?

Hope your week is going well.
sydwynd said…
Jude: It will be scary when I have that much free time. Luckily, I think I can figure out how to fill the time up. :)

Jammie: Week is going pretty well as a matter of fact. I think there is some age and personality things going on. Nicholas is still at that age where he wants us to help him and checks in with us. Christopher is being a normal teenager. He likes one word answers to questions. Like "How was you day?" "Ok." He's a regular conversationalist.

Popular Posts