A simple question of Math

So, more detail on the last post. The work thing will be next time, as I'm processing a great deal on that.

Soooo...Here's the deal. One of my courses has "journal" assignments instead of actual "papers". What is a journal assignment you ask? We'll basically this. The textbook for the course is made up of 34 chapters of essays and articles on leadership in nonprofit and public organizations. Which, by the way, is the name of the course. Ok, fine. Our "journal" assignments are to write a summary and reaction for EVERY chapter in the book.

The summary is just that. A synopsis of the important points in the chapter. The "reaction" is my thoughts on the chapter, preferable with some real world examples from my experience thrown in. Sounds pretty easy, right? Expept it takes about 2 pages to summarize a chapter (single spaced) and 2 pages to "react". And some of my real reactions is "who freaking cares?". Some of the topics are interesting and thought provoking. Others are "here are 10 steps to a better organization". And they're no brainer types of lists like, "know your mission, figure out were you need to improve, improve, measure, repeat". Duh. I need a graduate course to tell me that?

In any event, these assignments are due every two weeks. The semester started on 1/18 and the first assignment was due 1/30. The schedule gave dates and said for that date (each 2 weeks apart) "journal assignment due". I specifically emailed the instructor and said essentially "So I can summarize and react to half the readings for the module (should have mentioned the semester is broken into 3 five week modules) every two weeks, correct?" The response I got was "yes, that's right."

Cool. So, on 1/30, I turned in summaries and reactions to the first 5 chapters since our reading assignment for the module was chapters 1 to 10. I get the grade and feedback from the instructor by the end of the week, around 2/4. Besides some general comments, the instructor puts at the end, and I quote, "I am presuming that the other chapters will be coming later?" I was thinking to myself when I read it, "duh, we emailed back and forth that you'd get half every two weeks. Of course the rest will be later."

So, next assignment is due 2/13. I did pretty good and got cracking on it reasonably early. Had it done and ready to proof read by 2/9. I figure I'm in good shape. THEN comes the email. Instructor basically says, "In response to a fellow student's concern I want to apologize for not making the schedule clear but yes assigments are due every two weeks so chapters 11 to 23 are due on 2/13. I'll have an updated schedule out to everyone soon."

What the fuck! I had BARELY finished the first 10 chapters and NOW, FOUR DAYS before an assignment is due you tell me I have to do a shitload of work? Is that what that stupid comment meant at the end of my last assignment? So I quick post what I got and email the instructor that I'm sorry I didn't get the whole first 10 chapters submitted by the first date, but I posted the rest and I'll get at least half of the next 13 chapters posted by Sunday and get you the rest as soon as I can.

Then I thought about it for a while and decided to send THIS email:

"I’ve submitted the rest of the chapters for the first set of readings. While I submitted through Angel, I thought I would attach here as well. You’ve already graded chapters 1 to 5 of my work so here are 6 to 10. I look forward to seeing the modified schedule as in a previous email you sent me you indicated that the expectation was to post half of the chapter summaries every two weeks. By that measure and given the semester started on Jan 18, it would seem that Chapters 1 to 5 was due on Jan 30, 6 through 10 on Feb 13, 11 through 16 due Feb 27, etc. Hopefully the new schedule will clear things up.

As I emailed previously, I will get as many of chapters 11 to 23 to you by end of the day Sunday but since I only began Chapter 11 yesterday, I don’t know that I can do quality work on twelve chapters in three days. Please let me know if it is acceptable to get the completed assignment to you by the end of next week. I’m pretty sure I can complete by then.

Thanks again for the clarifications on due dates. They’re much appreciated."

As it turns out, I WAS RIGHT. The instructor sent a few more email within the next few hours apologizing for all the confusion and then sent a schedule with specific chapters due every two weeks. She made everyone in the class CRAZY over NOTHING. This is the same instructor that for whatever reason actually lives in North Carolina and can't use course email because she's having some sort of "technical" difficulty and corresponds by personal email. This course is an ELECTIVE for God's sake. It shouldn't be causing this much stress and this much work. Worse, it's one of the few courses I've gotten very little out of. Other than one concept on servant leadership, it's pretty clear to me this course will be a waste of my time. Or, a requirement that must be born. Normally I don't do end of course evaluations, but this will be an exception. This instructor is so unorganized its not even funny. That, and this whole "journal" thing is tedious and not of much value as far as I'm concerned. I'd have preferred to write a pair of 10 to 15 page papers on two of the main concepts in the book. At least then I could pick and chose references and thoughts. Summarizing a book is more high school than graduate work. On the plus side, one of my other courses used a similar format but I tested out of the modules with those assignments so I don't have to do this stupidity for two courses.

On the plus side, I'm now ahead of the game with these silly summaries. Considering we're looking to go away for April break and that its the second last week of the semester so I have a TON of things due, I'm trying to get as much done ahead as possible. Sorry for the long post, but dammit that instructor pissed me off all to hell over nothing.

Comments

Jude said…
Wow, she really is disorganized!! I'm glad that you're able to stay ahead of the game so you can go on your trip in April. You deserve it!
sydwynd said…
Jude: The head shaking continues. I got an email today saying grades for a discussion were posted. I ran a grade report for the course and guess what? BLANK. I had to email her and ask WHERE she posted the grade. No response yet.
Jude said…
Good grief!
Jammie J. said…
Lately it seems as if it's better to communicate what your needs are and how you're going to accomplish goals, than it is to blindly take people's directions. It's as if people don't take the time to communicate clearly and it drives me batty.

Either that or there's a whole lot of disorganized people out there who have managed to land jobs they have no business having.
sydwynd said…
Jammie: There are a lot of disorganized people out there. I'll admit, organization is not one of my strong suits, but this wasn't anything complicated. And basically the information was correct, the instructor confused it all, and ended up back where she started. Can't wait to fill out the evaluation for this course.

Popular Posts