Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine

Now that I'm on a roll with school, I'll probably have time occasionally to come here and put ink to screen and lay down my thoughts. So I told the story of how my professor pissed me off all to hell. Now its time to tell the OTHER story I mentioned about my career. Such as it is.

I had a one on one meeting with my boss. I'll say up front that I like working for him. He let's me do my job, he's there if I need him, and he's straight with me. No hidden agendas, no backstabbing, no cover your ass type of stuff. If he has a problem with you, he'll say so, probably rather bluntly. I can respect that as I know where I stand.

We've broached the conversation a few times over the last 6 months of "what I want to be when I grow up". He is interested in helping achieve my career goals and willing to give whatever assistance he can. The reason he's brought this up is that he's hearing rumblings of a possible department reorganization this year. And the bottom line is he has no idea what that means for me.

Here's the deal. Since taking over my current team full time, I've got them kicking ass and taking names. We CRUSHED all of our metrics for 2010. Call volume is down as our systems are better. Lots of impovements have gone in. Which means I'm now overstaffed. And my boss could use the resources elsewhere. I've already told him these things as I've been doing this long enough to know that if senior management really looked at my numbers they'd see the same thing. And that's something I'd rather get in front of than be dictated. So I've suggested to my boss that we really should take a new look at how the teams in our department work together and see how we can gain efficiencies with the staff on hand. It's the smart (and responsible) thing to do.

HOWEVER, his point to me is that assuming we do something like that, senior management may decide they don't need a supervisor to manage the 4 people it would take to handle the calls my team takes. And he has absolutely no idea what they would do with me or my position. He flat out told me that opportunities for me in the IT department are limited. We both agreed that my director (his boss) basically is unwilling to hear that my performance is far better than she thinks it is. I would probably have zero chance of her advocating for me. Given the other teams in the department, there's only one group I'd fit in well with. And the one possible opening they had is under review.

So what does this mean? He didn't know. On the plus side, this is all speculative and probably would come together for several months at least if this year. However, what he basically told me was that if I can find another position either in the department, in the company, or outside the company, it might be a good idea to jump and take it. You want to take about shaking me up? Not that I was very surprised by either the conversation or the fact that a couple of people in senior management have written me off. It's a sad part of my reality.

So, I did the only thing I could do after stressing about it for a little. I've been praying and just giving it all to God. This has happened to me so many times before in so many ways and the first time I trusted in God to take care of me it all worked out great. And has worked out great since then. So, I'm keeping my eyes open. I've updated my resume, I'm keeping an eye out for possible opportunities, and I'm reaching out to my network of professional friends. The Lord will show me the right thing when He's ready. It does sadden me that very few people at a high level in the organziation seem to value my work. Because I bet if they asked the people that I work with, my staff, my peers, my business partners, and my customers, I bet they'd get an eye opener. Perhaps I don't conform to their vison of what the organization needs in a leader. Perhaps I don't always follow processes exactly. Perhaps, worst of all, I have the audacity to have a vision of what this department should be. I don't know what it is. But I'm getting the feeling that perhaps its time to move on. Which kind of stinks because I actually like working where I work and really do care enough to want to make it a better place. You would think a person like that would be valued in this organization. Apparently, that isn't the case.

Comments

Jude said…
What a conondrum! You give your all and they don't care to see it. I think you may be right Vince, it just might be time to move on from where you are at this moment and you'll know when and where as He sees fit. Not exactly a pleasant or easy place to be though, as we're only human and feel the stress of the unknown.

I can't help but be a little pissed at some of the upper management where you work. It all sounds like some office politics to me.

((((((hugs)))))))
sydwynd said…
Jude: Truthfully, there's only one person that still makes me bitter when I think about it. But there's no point in dwelling on it as it won't help. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I think the right thing will come up.
Jammie J. said…
One never knows how things will twist out in the end. It's always good to have someone in the know in your corner, so at least you have some insight and can head things off in your favor.

Also, sometimes you have to give up that which you "own" and put it back where it belongs. Your job does belong to the company, being a good steward of your position is what God calls us to be. At least that is what I tell myself to get through the day.

Plus, who knows, your supervisor's supervisor could take a job somewhere else... what? Could happen. :) (Just a little out of line optimism.)
sydwynd said…
Jammie: You're right. But, as you know, it's a hard thing to leave things in God's hands. But you're right about stewardship. Asy for my big boss, I doubt she'll be going anywhere. She's an old buddy of the head of our entire department. Which is how she got the job.

Popular Posts