Tempted by the Dark Side

I'm typing this on my work provided MacBook Pro. I've been playing with it for about a week and trying to set it up as a machine a user at work could utilize. I must say, out of the box, OSX Leopard is pretty slick. It's connecting to the majority of my network resources. I've installed Office Mac, which is slick. I've also found some third party applications that I've been playing with to more fully connect. I've been pretty impressed in that about 90% of what I've been trying to do is quite easy. As for the rest, I've found VMWare Fusion for Mac. It allows me to run a Windows XP operating system in a virtual environment. In Unity mode, it puts the Windows taskbar behind the dock and you can then run windows applications as if you're running them right off the Mac. It opens windows just like it would on the Mac.

I'm starting to really like this machine. I've got a month or two of testing before I give my final verdict, but with VMWare, I could run this at home and do everything I would need to do. I hate to say it, but I might actually consider owning one myself. One of my pals at work broke down and got one, and he loves it. We recently purchased a digital movie camera and I'm thinking the Mac would be much better for editing.

The power of the dark side is great. And may prove too much to resist.

Comments

Popular Posts