Cat's out of the Bag

Since this will be public knowledge on Sunday I'll talk about it now.

Our parish (that is a few key members of our parish) are organizing a new Mass to be held at 6:00 on Sunday evenings. I'm going to be coordinating the music. We'll be doing contemporary Christians tunes with electric guitar, drums, keys, horns, whatever. I'm extremely exited to do this as it's been in the back of my mind for a while now. I always thought it would be cool to play rock and roll for the youth of our church.

I haven't had much opportunity to play my babies (my electrics that is) in the last couple of years. The band thing didn't really work out for me. The cover band that played out was fun, but by the end wasn't playing any of the songs I wanted to do and playing till 2 in the morning got old. Playing with the Real Emetics and trying to record a CD has been like pulling teeth. I can't seem to get the three of us in the studio at the same time.

Over the summer, I was blading around the neighborhood (something I would like to do more of if I had time) when I had this revelation. Maybe the Lord doesn't want me to record an Emetics CD. I had been considering doing a CD of Christian songs "after" I finished the Emetics project. I made a few more tries at recording with the Emetics (you know how we usually resist God when he's trying to talk to you). The last time was an absolute mess. 4 hours resulted in bass and guitar tracks for 2 songs that needed the bass tracks redone.

Once I made the decision to concentrate on Christian music, everything started working out. I've always had trouble writing songs (lyrically at least). However, I wrote 10 songs for this project in a couple of month. That totals my complete song output for the 10 previous years (even perhaps exceeds it). I got all the rythem guitar tracks recorded for these songs in about 5-6 hours of studio time. I've been inspired and even when I don't know what to do next with the song, the first or second thing I try comes out great!

Then, not 2 weeks ago, I get an email out of the blue asking to meet on a project for church best not discussed via email. I was intrigued of course. I even thought in the back of my mind "wouldn't it be cool if they want to put together a youth program and want me to do music". And look at what it was! That very thing. This is not cooincidence my friends.

There have been many examples in my life up to now where letting go and trusting in God has resulted in me either getting what I want or what I need (amusing side note, my younger son, 6, loves singing the Stones tune by that name. He sounds pretty good and we harmonize together). It goes to show if you have faith in the Lord, He'll come through for you in ways you don't expect. The last two really good things to happen to me (this and my current job) have literally fallen into my lap without me having to go look for them. This is not a random act of fate.

There is much work ahead. We need to recruit musicians, pick our repetoire, and rehearse the songs. We want to start up in March/April. I'm confident God will bless our endeavor and make it successful. It's His idea, after all. I'll keep everyone posted on how it's going.

I am reminded of a Proper: Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory.

Comments

Popular Posts