Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. Mine's an extra day longer since the boys are still off from school. Grasshopper starts tomorrow and Maverick on Thursday. This year they decided to have 6th and 9th graders start on Wednesday and the rest of the Middle School and High School start on Thursday to give the new kids a chance to get used to thier new buildings. It's hard to believe Maverick's starting 7th grade. He acts more like a teenager every day. He's starting to get overly concerned about his appearance, especially his hair. The other day, we were shopping for clothes and he tried on a shirt. When I asked him what he thought, he wasn't sure because his hair was not combed correctly for the shirt! I failed to see the connection between hairstyle and whether or not a shirt looks good on you, but I'm an old guy after all.

Saturday was spent mostly doing back to school shopping. Yes, we waited until the last minute. So sue me. Sunday we attended our annual Labor Day Weekend High School Pal Get Together. Usually it's at our house, but this year one of our pals asked if we minded moving it to her place since we hadn't been there in a while and they'd done lots of nice improvements and wanted to show them off. The Wife and I were happy not to have to go crazy to get our house ready for a party (cause it would have needed MAJOR work to be guest-ready, even to my low standard). We were more than happy just to show up and bring a dish. It turned into a most pleasant affair. Our boys and her girls are just days or weeks apart so they got along FAMOUSLY! After our one friend with the small children left, we fired up the chiminea and just sat there in front of the fire chatting. The kids were off doing something or other but they were quiet so we just enjoyed the evening. It is always fun getting together with the old "gang" as it where. We still all get along great even after nearly 25 years from graduating high school.

Yesterday was mostly a do nothing day. I cleaned the garage and prepped it for today's big job. I had to do some running around to get everything I needed but managed to get everything done by 4 or so. Then we went to my Mom's for dinner and just hung out for a while. The Wife was kind of quiet for a while (she can be like that around my dad especially). But then we got into some lively topic and all was animated across the board. The boys enjoyed watching cartoons since I've blocked them at home until their behaviour improves. The big shock of the day was that my cousin's husband walked out on her. He was in the Army until the beginning of the year. I won't get into too much of it since I only got her side of the story. Not that I care too much about his side right now. She was a devoted wife to him, putting her life on hold and following him to Germany and Atlanta, supporting him every step of the way so forgive me if I'm a little biased. We'll see how it turns out.

Today has been Paint the Garage Floor Day. The Wife as been "asking" me to put down an epoxy paint/seal on the garage floor since last year. I promised her I'd get it done this summer so I sneaked it in under the wire! Let me tell you that was a lot of work. The last bit of it I was standing in the direct sun since I had to put the second coat on while standing in the driveway. But it's done now and looks pretty good. In 3 days we'll be able to bring the cars back in the garage. The boys have actually been getting along great today. I think the idea of priviledges based on behavior is starting to sink in. They even practiced their instruments together and were doing duets! The only thing the Wife wanted me to get done this summer that I didn't get to was painting the front door. But that would require purchasing a screen door first which we also didn't do. Still, we got a lot done.

Hard to believe summer is pretty much done. Hope it went well for everyone out there. Ours was just way too fast. We're already starting to plan Grasshopper's birthday, which is Halloween. Time just flies around here.

Lastly, as a quick update, things at work resulted in my rescheduling my training in NYC so I'll be going in November now instead of this month. Bit of a bummer I have to wait longer to see my NYC pals, but I'll get there.

Comments

Popular Posts