I shouldn't have done it...

But I did anyway.  Remember my pain in the ass instructor?  The one that made me crazy all semester long?  Well, I got the grade back from my final paper.  Never mind the fact that I had some MAJOR heartache about what the instructor REALLY wanted versus what the assignment stated.  However, here is her feed back:

GRADE: 13.5/15


Comments: Comments: - This is an interesting paper that appears to be well-thought-through and well researched. The conceptualization is noteworthy and convincing.  There are a number of concerns, however. The documentation is poor. Each piece of researched material needs to have a proper documentation.  Each paragraph (each new idea sequence) should end with a citation. Sometimes it will be just a page number. The approach you used for parenthetical citations did not provide me with any way of checking your sources.  In the analytical section, although not called that, you do a pretty good job. I would have liked inclusion of illustrations from your own background. All in all, the paper is a good product, but I wanted to mention these concerns because they will probably arise in some of your further writing. Grade B+


First of all, 13.5/15 is a 90%.  Which is an A (which is what is on my grade report in the school application).  Second, I followed a proper citation methodology.  I was a little annoyed (even though I'm going to get an A for the course).  So I couldn't help myself from sending off this parting shot in reply:

Phyllis,

Thanks for the feedback. I used the APA guidelines for my citations, which I've used for all of my research work so far at ESC. The citation style states:

In APA style, in-text citations are placed within sentences and paragraphs so that it is clear what information is being quoted or paraphrased and whose information is being cited.
Examples:
Works by a single author
The last name of the author and the year of publication are inserted in the text at the appropriate point.

from theory on bounded rationality (Simon, 1945)

If the name of the author or the date appear as part of the narrative, cite only missing information in parentheses.

Simon (1945) posited that

If you were looking for a different style of citation, it was not specifically stated in the guidlelines for the paper. Thanks again for your feedback.
 
Should I have done that?  Perhaps not.  But in the actual paper she wrote notes and stated it was insulting to the authors of the work I cited that I didn't use their full names.  Excuse me but it's insulting to me to say I didn't properly cite their work when I did.  Is it my fault Phyllis hasn't done her homework on other styles of citiation?  Or that she didn't specify a citation style if that's what she wanted.  So really I just helping to educate a person on other citation options, right?  However, if I know Phyllis, she probably won't even read the course email as she did all communication with us through personal email.  Either way, if my grade is not an A, I'm going to raise blooddy hell.

Comments

Jammie J. said…
I don't think you did anything wrong. I think you were clarifying your position. Just as she attempted to do to hers.

It's one thing to teach children, who can be easily confused into thinking the teacher is always right, because the teacher is The Teacher. It's quite another thing to instruct adults who have had life experience and know that a position of authority doesn't always mean they should be in that position, and they're not automatically accurate or right.

If one is a college teacher (professor?), they have to be on their game and know their shit. I'm not certain she did.

Good for you for standing up for yourself.
Jammie J. said…
Also, on the grade part of it, do you know they grade on a curve?
sydwynd said…
Jammie: Thanks. I tried not to say "I told you so" or "you're stupid" which is what I thought. And you're right, just because your the "Teacher" doesn't mean you know everything. And no, they don't grade on a curve, just straight up average. I didn't say anything about the math to the teacher in case she thought it really was B+ work and lowered the grade. I'll take that mistake any day.
Jude said…
Jammie said it well! And you cracked me up with "You're stupid." Perhaps that's what needed to be said, in a perfect world!

Congratulations Vince, you did great IN SPITE of a crappy instructor!
sydwynd said…
Jude: Thanks. It makes me crazy when people challenge my competence. I'm tempted to be that plain after my grade is finalized, but that would be childish. On the plus side, I will NEVER have to have this instructor again. You should have read my course evaluation.

Popular Posts