3/4/12

We had quite the adventure today.  One of our youth leaders wanted to expose the junior and senior high youth groups to Mass in other traditions so today we went to this youth minister's home parish to attend a Mass in Spanish.  She is from the Dominican Republic and her parish is in the middle of the city.  It's quite the multi-cultural parish.  The Mass itself was very interesting and while we understood very little, it wear really neat seeing how other cultures celebrate Mass and incorporate their heritage and music.  Plus, the church itself was very "old school" with the traditional cross shaped space, stained glass windows, and statues everywhere.  It really felt like a house of worship.

Afterwards, we met with youth from that parish and the deacon that is the pastoral administrator talked to us about their challenges.  It really opened my eyes as to how fat, dumb, and happy we are in the suburbs.  In our parish, our biggest concern seems to be raising enough money to make our "required" donation to the annual Catholic Ministries Appeal so it doesn't come out of the budget.  In this parish, they were running two food pantries, ministries to help the poor, and help for immigrants that were here due to political persecution in their home countries.  Talk about eye opening!  They're on the front lines in social ministry!

Then, we went to lunch at a Wendy's just down the road from the church.  First, there was a situation where an obviously poor (and perhaps homeless) person fell and cut his head.  A young lady (late high school or early college age) wanted to help and perhaps call 911.  This gentleman yelled at her not to call anyone and to go back to eating her food.  He was quite upset that she'd pulled out her phone.  Her parents also told her very vocally to let it go.  She ended up going outside in tears as she just wanted to help.  She got a rather rude lesson that some people, for whatever reason, just don't want to be helped.  Just before we left, another (most likely homeless) man asked me for a quarter for food.  I gave him whatever change I had in my pocket and suggested he get himself something warm to eat or drink as it was cold outside.  He thanked me and then left.  I thought it was a good lesson for the boys to sometimes provide help and let God worry about the rest.

All in all, I think it was good for the boys (and Ellen and I) to see how the "other half" lives.  It's easy to forget about the poor and underprivileged when you live in nice neighborhoods.  You hear about it on TV but experiencing it first hand is far different.  It also makes me wonder if God is calling me to do more.  Ellen and I haven't been fully happy at our parish.  I don't think we're seriously considering changing parishes, but I'd like to go back to this one and maybe visit some other parishes in the city.  Hearing the deacon take about the social ministries they're involved in struck a chord with me.  I don't know if it was God calling me to do something or just guilt at having so much when others have so little.  I've been doing reading on the lives of the saints and the author does talk a lot about the saints that helped the poor.  I think it will require more prayer and reflection.  If God is calling me to some sort of social ministry, He'll make sure I get the message.

Comments

Jude said…
I can feel it in my bones Vince, there is definitely a message of some sort in this for you! Who knows, it may even have something to do with the "better off" parishes helping out the poorer ones.... at any rate you're right, He'll make sure you get the message. :-)

Have a great week!
sydwynd said…
Jude: Figuring out what the Lord is telling you can be difficult at times. But you always need to be ready to listen.

Popular Posts