Much to think about

Hold on a sec while I blow a little of the dust off of here. It's been a little while.

After band practice last night (which went great, BTW), I had a nice Facebook chat with one of the band members. I enjoy our converstations since this person is very sprititual. The big concern as some of the dynamics in the band. Not in a good or bad way, but we've got some strong personalities in the band and sometimes that can be overwhelming. In this case, my bandmate was feeling left out and a little pushed around. They're primary talent is singing and with 5 singers in the band right now, it can be hard to get some mike time. We've also made a point to not have so many voices do harmony, so again, someone may be left out.

I share the feeling a little as I used to sing far more than I do now. Some of the songs that were "my" songs are now sung by someone else. However, I always have my instrument and can contribute that way. So we'll need to work at making sure everyone gets a shot. We kicked around the idea of working out some songs together and then bringing them to the band. Which would probably be a good idea since most of the band listens to Christian music stations to get new songs and ideas and I've stopped listening to radio altogether so I don't know what's out there. And the Christian music I listen to is a little heavy for the band.

I think I'm going to work on writing a song for my bandmate. I've been trying to get some new material together so perhaps this is the motivation I need. I'll need to pray on it and see what the Spirit brings me. If I not worry about it too much, the Spirit usually gives me good inspiration

I've also got a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) with the pastor and music director at our church. One of my other bandmates and I are going to push getting the band involved again in our church music ministry. We've been sort of shut out and we keep hearing from parishoners "we really need the kink of ministry Faith on Fire has to offer for our young people". So we're going to try and get that message across: there's a need for a ministry to our congregation that we're not providing and we need to address it before they decide to go somewhere else. So we'll see how that goes.

Comments

Jude said…
*sneezes from the blown dust*

Oh I do wish you luck with that Rocker Guy, I can understand why the younger folk in the congregation would enjoy your band and the message you bring.

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a way to appease everyone in the band as well. That can't be easy! Perhaps each set you do can have parts where you "feature" each band member? Keep us posted, will you?

Have a great week!
sydwynd said…
I'll find out tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes.

I know the band stuff will work itself out. We're like any family that has it's little squabbles now and then.
Jammie J. said…
Bands need harmony in voices and harmony in personalities. Like you said, it's like any family.

I'll add my prayers to yours for inspiration to write, as well as to open the hearts of those you need to present to at your church.
sydwynd said…
Many thanks! We can use all the prayers we can get, that's for sure.

Popular Posts